A brief history of the War Memorial in Church Street Burbage.
The first commemoration of the Great War in Burbage was a peace day parade by local school children and the planting of four oak trees at the side of St Catherine's Churchyard on 19th July 1919.
A committee was then formed to raise funds for a permanent war memorial, and by 1920 sufficient funds had been obtained and a site for the memorial was agreed upon.
The war memorial was erected and unveiled on 26th February 1921 and originally listed the names of 54 men who died during the conflict, subsequently 6 additional names where added representing those men that died later from the effects of the conflict.
Following the Second World War the names of a further 31 men were add to commemorate those that died during this conflict.