Street Play scheme launched
Hinckley and Bosworth Borough Council is encouraging residents to set up safe spaces for children to play on the streets where they live.
Its new Street Play scheme aims to offer children the opportunity to play outside and for residents to come together to build safer, stronger communities.
The initiative fits in with the aims of the Borough Council's strategic plan for 2018–2023 which are to:
- Enable and inspire older people to make the most of later life: Through building new relationships with families who are on the street and creating a space for a safer neighbourhood. It allows older people to contribute in whatever way they choose, possibly to pass on their wisdom to the next generation.
- Support vulnerable people and those who are most in need: Street play is a community project which creates an opportunity for vulnerable people and those who are most in need to engage and feel connected on their street.
- Help people to stay healthy, be active and feel well: Street play encourages residents to be active, through social interaction and being outside
- Recognise diversity and celebrate what unites us: Everyone on the street is invited, there is no segregation
- Support an effective and valuable voluntary and community sector: Street play is child and resident-led and volunteers are a major part of its success
- Take measures to reduce crime and anti - social behaviour and protect people from harm: Street Play has the ability to reduce crime and anti - social behaviour and protect people from harm as it brings a community together.
- Give children and young people the best start in life and offer them the opportunity to thrive in their communities: Being outside, sociable and neighbourly reduces stress levels and isolation. Play gives children and Young people the chance to develop life skills early on.
Street Play is resident led and needs residents with time and energy to take on the project within their own streets.
Leaders will need to sign a written agreement with the council and apply for a relevant road closure order.
For more information contact Rachel.email@example.com Tel: 01455 255784.
Posted: Tue, 11 Jun 2019 14:20 by Parish Council